Tuesday, November 15, 2011

One month to go!

Hello Everyone!

It's been quite some time since I last posted so I wanted to give you an update!

First thing: I got new gear!!! The Red packs on the back will be carrying all of my gear for the 45 day trip. they're highly durable, waterproof, and reflective (safety first right?).

A huge thank you to everyone who's been able to chip in. Altogether there was almost $250 in donations as well as numerous pledged donors. If you can't donate, please share with friends, family, coworkers, churches, distant relatives who're over for Thanksgiving, any millionaire (or billionaire) friends, post it on facebook, or  pass it on to any random people you meet


Second thing:  The Cause

There are some human rights issues that are not known to many people or organizations. One of these issues is Deprogramming. Deprogramming refers to "actions that attempt to force a person to abandon allegiance to a religious, political, economic, or social group." Often times this results in physical, emotional, psychological, and even sexual abuse. 

The reason I picked an issue like this, is because I grew up as a Unificationist. As a part of a minority religious group, one of the hardest things was growing up in fear that someone might find out my beliefs and stigmatize me a weird freak who needed serious help. So I stayed silent. That's not the life I'd like to lead, and this is the fight that I'm picking up. 

While some may say this is for "religious freedom" I'd like to think of it as a fight for the human conscience. "Freedom of Conscience", so to say. I'll post more on this issue and my beliefs as we progress.

For now, my goal is to get this issue onto the radar of International Organizations such as Amnesty International or the Human Rights Watch. Right now they don't have anything posted on their websites & I know many victims who wish they had International Support. 

Stay tuned as this blog grows to become more robust & highlights my preparations for this adventure. I'd love to have your company!

1 comment: